Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Colonies Come of Age

Why would a governing country encourage its citizens to establish colonies in far away lands? How and/or why do you think slavery was developed in the colonies? Finally, what do you think it means to live in a truly free society?

11 comments:

Briana Alexander said...

- i think they would encourage it because they would be somewhere different.i think slavery was developed because they wanted to seem like they were above ppl[on a higher level than others, and they didnt want to have to do all the work. also i think it means to bee free of doing whatever you want and just living the good life.

Unknown said...

The governing county would encourage this because they want more power, and more power means more money. Slavery was developed so that the colonies would make money and would not have to lose time and money working on their own plantations. Living in a free society means to have the right to do what you want with your own life and to live in a county with so many rights to all citizens.

Bsyesta said...

I think that people establish new colonies to expand their land to live in and expand their understanding of the world. I think slavery was introduced for the purpose of haveing more workers for the many jobs they needed done(but that still doesn't make it right). I think we already have the privilage of living in a truely free society so we know well of what it's like. :)

Bsyesta said...

I think that people establish new colonies to expand their land to live in and expand their understanding of the world. I think slavery was introduced for the purpose of haveing more workers for the many jobs they needed done(but that still doesn't make it right). I think we already have the privilage of living in a truely free society so we know well of what it's like. :)

Anonymous said...

uhhh... they want more land to spread trade, make money, spread religion and ideas... thats what i think lol

Jerrisa said...

I think they would encourage it because they would bring more diverse cultures. I think slavery was developed because ppl were too lazy to get up and do things for themselves and they wanted to feel like they had power and control over somebody and was better than ppl. I believe being in a truly free society means a world were you dont have to worry about anything you can do what you want when you want unless its something that would harm other ppl or themselves.

Anonymous said...

I personally think they would encourage small other societys for they could control them. and slavery was developed just for extra time and less work. they did not want to loose time or money by working on there plantations so they bought slaves to help out.Free Society means do what you want, you have more rights than others that are not in a free society

Anonymous said...

maybe cause they wanted to expand their country and have more land. i think there was slavery because they didnt want to do all the work and having slaves do it for them was nice. to live in a free society is to not be told what to do and be able to believe and do what u want.

Micah Cox said...

Because it would be somewhere new.New chances to find many new things. People didn't want to do the hard farm work thamselves so they hired slaves to do it for them.where you have all yours rights and nobody is controlled or owned by anybody else.

Kaylee Gooch said...

New colonies would be started because it helps countries expand their lands. Slavery was cheap labor and this saved labor time and money. Living in a truly free society is to live where one is free from crime, strict laws or control from a governing body.

Taylor Renee Roden said...

Well, I know if I ruled a country, and found out about a big huge area, I also would send some citizens to go live there. Who knew what was there? Possibly gold and silver and all other sorts of valuable items. I think slavery was started because just like today Americans are lazy. We wanted help on our big farms. I think to be "truly free" means to have your rights respected. Freedom of religion, speech, and future.